I’ve run across a few websites and blogs recently running interstitials (the modern term for “popup windows that overlay not pop) and a variety of scripts and bad code that cause browser errors.
Please stop this.
The reasons are many, but here are a few.
- We hate them.
- Interstitials require effort on our part to close which is not a good first impression.
- Interstitials work on the clueless not influencers, so check your stats to see if these are really turning into conversions or annoyance.
- Browser errors popup warnings in our faces, which is ridiculous in this day and age when it is easy to fix all these and prevent them.
- Update your site’s code regularly, for our sake but mostly your own, especially for security reasons. It makes us think bad things when your site is so out of date our browser warns us.
- If your site is out of date in look, feel, and functionality, what do you think that says about your content, purpose, and business?
Thank you for updating your sites and fixing all errors today.
The Tech Nag